CCSS multiplication and division
For each problem below, classify the problem and unknown.
- Equal groups: multiplication, partitive division, quotative division
- Array: product unknown, factor unknown
- Area: product unknown, factor unknown
- Multiplicative comparison: multiplier unknown, bigger unknown, smaller unknown
Note: Multiplication is equivalent to "product unknown"
- Bob has 24 tomato seedlings to plant in 3 rows. How many tomato plants are in each row?
array - factor unknown
- Jill bought apples at 7 cents a piece. The total cost of her apples was 35 cents. How many apples did Jill buy?
equal groups - quotative division
- Josh walked 3 hours at a rate of 4 miles per hour. How far did Josh walk?
equal groups - multiplication
- During a winter storm, 10 inches of snow fell. If the storm lasted 5 hours and fell at an constant rate, how much snow fell per hour?
equal groups - partitive division
- Aaron and Rodger collect Packer souvenirs. Aaron has 4 times as many Packer hats as Rodger. If Aaron has 20 Packer hats, how many does Rodger have?
comparison - smaller unknown
- In Katie's bathroom the floor measures 5 feet by 7 feet. How many square feet of vinyl will it take to cover the floor?
area - product unknown
Create your own
Four problem types are be missing in the list above. On the back of this page write a problem for each of the missing types. DO NOT identify the type of problem.