hlascs (@) uwec.edu
Section 001: MTWF 9-9:50 (HHH 318)
Section 002: MTWF 12-12:50 (HHH 318)
This class is designed to review fundamental mathematical concepts in order to prepare students for calculus. The first half focuses on trigonometry: angle measures, triangle measures, radians, analytic trigonometry, and applications. The second half focuses on defining functions by exploring polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic functions.
- MathZone (www.mathzone.com) will be the primary assessment tool for homework and quizzes.
- D2L (uwec.courses.wisconsin.edu) contains the syllabus, schedule for assignments, grades, and discussion boards.
- Class time will focus on answering student questions and providing time for written examinations.
- Two textbook resources:
- Cohen book available as a rental text.
- MathZone has access to another precalculus textbook within the practice homework problems.
Finally there are three instructors assigned to the course. Feel free to contact any of them regarding questions you have. ***
This course meets the following Liberal Education Learning Goals: creative and critical thinking, and effective communication.
More course information is available on Canvas.
- MathZone (www.mathzone.com). Practice homework and quizzes.
- Graphing calculator. All materials will be designed for the TI-83 or TI-84. Calculators with computer algebra systems (e.g., TI-89 and TI-92) or internet access (e.g., cell phones) will not be allowed on exams.
- Cohen, D. (with Lee, T.B. & Sklar, D.) (2006). Precalculus with unit-circle trigonometry, 4th edition. Thomson Brooks/Cole. [reference text]
- Math Lab. Free mathematics help located in Hibbard 220 (www.uwec.edu/math/mathlab/index.htm)
- Study groups. At this level of mathematics, a study group is the best way to study. Other students will push your understanding of the material by requiring explanation of your mathematical thinking. Further, the more students that work on a problem, the more likely someone will have insight regarding how to solve it.