Geometry in grades 1-8
hlascs (@) uwec.edu
Life without geometry is pointless.
This course includes mathematical knowledge for teachers based on practice & content standards. Topics include:
- geometry as shape
- non-linear functions
This course helps students meet the following Liberal Education Learning Outcome:
- S2. Use mathematical, computational, statistical, or formal reasoning to solve problems, draw inferences, and determine the validity of stated claims.
More course information is posted on D2L.
- Develop a productive disposition towards elementary mathematics
- Explain why mathematical ideas work
- Daily warm-up activities, typically for discussion
- Weekly quizzes
- One midterm examination
- Comprehensive final exam
- Beckmann, S. (2014). Mathematics for Elementary Teachers with Activities, 4th edition (rental text)
I recommend printing Class Activities in D2L so you do not need to bring the book to class.
- Calculators are allowed, but are not required. Devices with wireless capabilities (e.g., cell phones) are not allowed on assessments.
- Recommended review: Algebra rules
- Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
- CCSS Learning Progressions
- Better learning through hand writing (Science Daily, 2011)
- Nix the Tricks (Cardone)
- Improve students' learning with effective learning techniques (Dunlosky, et al., 2013, page 45)