Probability and statistics in grades 1-8
hlascs (@) uwec.edu
When we compare one thing to the other, it changes its value.
This course includes mathematical knowledge for teachers based on practice & content standards. Topics include:
- probability (models, compounded, conditional, expected value)
- linear functions (slope, formulas, graphing)
- statistics (sampling, measures of center, measures of dispersion, normal distributions, z-scores, lines of best fit)
This course helps students meet the following Liberal Education Learning Outcome:
- S2. Use mathematical, computational, statistical, or formal reasoning to solve problems, draw inferences, and determine the validity of stated claims.
More course information is posted on D2L.
- Develop a productive disposition towards elementary mathematics
- Explain why mathematical ideas work
- Daily warm-up activities, typically for discussion
- Weekly quizzes
- One midterm examination
- Comprehensive final exam
- Beckmann, S. (2014). Mathematics for Elementary Teachers with Activities, 4th edition (rental text)
- Calculators are allowed, but are not required. Devices with wireless capabilities (e.g., cell phones) are not allowed on assessments.
- Recommended review: Algebra rules
- Common Core State Standards
- CCSS Learning Progressions
- Better learning through hand writing (Science Daily, 2011)
- Improve students' learning with effective learning techniques (Dunlosky, et al., 2013, page 45)